Diocese of Charleston participating in First Steps
- Catholic schools in South Carolina will be participating in the First Steps 4K program this fall.
- First Steps provides funds to Medicaid-eligible children to attend 4K programs at private schools.
- 4K students who could not afford a private school can attend a Catholic institution to receive a quality education.
To qualify during the 2021-22 school year, a child must:
- be 4 years old on or before Sept. 1, 2021;
- be eligible for Medicaid, free- or reduced-price lunch program, SNAP/TANF recipient OR be experiencing homelessness, transiency, or in foster care;
- be a South Carolina Resident.
Catholic schools were formed over the last 200 years for direct education of children in impoverished and minority communities. “This expanded program across the diocese continues our work to further justice in our society — especially for our children.” Superintendent of Catholic Schools, Sandra Leatherwood