HOW TO REPORT ALLEGATIONS OF SEXUAL ABUSE
REMEMBER: YOUR ROLE IS ONLY TO REPORT. THERE IS TO BE NO INVESTIGATION BY YOU OR ANYONE ELSE AT THE PARISH/SCHOOL LEVEL.
If you suspect abuse has occurred within a family:
- Contact the S.C. Department of Social Services within the county the abuse took place or report online by following the SCDSS link below.
- Contact the Diocese at 1-843-261-0430, to report status.
If you suspect an abuse by diocesan personnel (priests, religious brothers or sisters, deacons, teachers, employees or volunteers) has occurred, please contact:
- The local police department immediately.
- After reporting to law enforcement, call the Victim Assistance Coordinator at 843-856-0748 or 800-921-8122
STATE MANDATORY REPORTERS / ALL CHURCH PERSONNEL
Please note: Mandatory reporters are legally required to report allegations of sexual abuse. Failure to report can result in legal action. The Bishop of Charleston considers all “Church Personnel” to be Mandatory Reporters. Failure of Church Personnel to report may result in termination of employment, or removal from volunteer ministry.
State Mandatory Reporters Are:
- School teachers, counselors, principals, assistant principals
- Child care workers in day care centers and foster care facilities
- Clergy, except where information is received from the alleged perpetrator during a clergy/penitent privilege
- Social or public assistance workers
- Substance abuse treatment staff
- Police or law enforcement officers
- Undertakers, funeral home directors and employees
- Persons responsible for processing films
- Computer technicians
- Physicians, nurses, dentist, optometrists
- Medical examiners and coroners, and their employees
- Any other medical, emergency medical services, mental or allied health professionals
- Christian Science practitioners, religious healers
Church Personnel / Mandatory Reporters Are:
- All employees in the Diocese of Charleston. This includes all parish and school employees as well as all diocesan offices.
- All Volunteers involved in ministries within the Diocese of Charleston.