Along with food, clothing and shelter, health care is a necessary means for the proper development of life. Justice demands that medical and behavioral health care be easily available for all. Under no circumstance should the availability of health care threaten life itself or place restrictions on the right to exercise one’s conscience. Because human beings are sacred, we must ensure that all persons have a safe place to live, enough nutritious food to eat, and adequate income to support themselves. Particular care must be offered to those who have special needs because of age, addiction, physical or mental disability.
- Support the elimination of all system barriers that delay access to newborn or prenatal care.
- Support access to basic and preventative health care for low income uninsured women and children, including access to breast and cancer screenings.
- Support efforts to increase access to mental health care.
- Support efforts to reform the current Advance Directives statute to expand the family notification period while maintaining the ethical standards of care and protecting providers’ consciences.
- Support funding for adult stem cell research
- Support care and dignity for persons who are aging or who live with disabilities.