Boot Camp 2019
August 14 @ 10:30 am - 3:30 pm| $15
One Day “Boot Camp” for First Year Youth Ministers
August 14, 2019
10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
$15 per person
(Make checks payable to: Diocese of Charleston)
Deadline: August 2, 2019
Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry
Diocese of Charleston
901 Orange Grove Road
Charleston, SC 29407
About this Event:
The Youth Minister 1 Day “Boot Camp” is a day long training to help youth ministers find their way in youth ministry. New youth
ministers need to be adequately prepared for a role that is often riddled with unanticipated potholes, curves, and fuel shortages! A new youth minister needs to understand the challenges of the terrain and be given a road map for building dynamic, disciple-making youth ministries that transform the lives of young people and all the while staying healthy themselves. The 1 Day “Boot Camp” is all this and more! Plus, you will receive great resources that are more than the cost of the registration!
At the Youth Minster Boot Camp you will learn:
- Your relationship with Jesus is more important than what you do!
- To develop a vision that inspires and encourages investment.
- To understand how to focus your first years in youth ministry.
- How to gain valuable skills in ministry to teens.
Topics to be discussed:
- Getting started the right way
- Planning for the year – developing a realistic calendar
- How to create and keep a budget?
- Developing adult/youth CORE teams
- Planning youth nights with a purpose
- Where to get resources that really help
- Basic diocesan guidelines that you need to know
- Plus a tour of the chancery and meet the different offices that interact with youth ministry.
Joan serves as the youth minster of St. Mary Help of Christians in Aiken, SC. Joan is one of the most respected youth ministers in our diocese. She brings a wealth of knowledge and passion to her position.
Joe Maggio serves as the youth minister at St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church in Simpsonville. Though he didn’t know youth ministry was an actual job, the Lord chose to call him to serve for the past 20 years. He enjoys time with his family, seeing youth come to know Jesus, and being an instigator.
Mike Sylvester serves as the youth minister of St. Gregory the Great in Bluffton. Mike also served as a Diocesan Director of Youth Ministry. Mike is known for his creativity in programming and developing outstanding CORE groups.
Deacon Jerry White
Deacon Jerry White has served as the diocesan director of youth and young adults for the past 20 years. Jerry has a combined 30 years in youth ministry.