St. Joseph Catholic Church and Saint Mary of the Annunciation
St. Joseph Catholic Church
1695 Raoul Wallenberg Blvd.
Charleston, SC 29407
Saint Mary of the Annunciation
89 Hasell Street (Offices)
Charleston, South Carolina 29401
POSITION PURPOSE: To direct and lead youth programming for middle and high school youth. The Director of Youth Ministry shall seek to foster Christian community through building relationships with young people that strengthen their commitment to the Church and growth in faith in Jesus Christ. This position will be equally split between St. Joseph Catholic Church and Saint Mary of the Annunciation Catholic Church.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Subject to review and adjustment in conjunction with each pastor and the Parish pastoral Council (when appropriate), the following constitute the major responsibilities of the Director of Youth Ministry.
- Be a part of the worshipping community of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church and Saint Mary of the Annunciation Catholic Church on a shared basis, taking part in her sacramental life first and foremost.
- Provide leadership for and function as the primary staff representative for Youth Ministry. Attend staff and parish council meetings monthly, to report on youth activities.
- Meet regularly with each supervising pastor as needed at a time mutually agreed upon.
- Be in contact with office staff and provide a timely and accurate schedule of youth activities. Keep the congregation informed of youth events by coordinating the publicity for youth activities through the appropriate vehicles provided by the church. (e.g. monthly newsletter, special mailings, posters, bulletin announcements, web page, social media, etc.)
- Oversee the recruitment and training of adult volunteers to work with middle and high school youth for each parish.
- Plan and implement age appropriate activities for middle and high school youth that promote community through fellowship, fun and faith development. Such activities might include; socials, small group Bible study, retreats, and service projects.
- Prepare an annual budget in consultation with the finance director. Manage the disbursement of budgeted funds for Youth Ministry within the guidelines of the approved budget and in adherence with the purchasing policies of each church.
- Coordinate fund-raising activities that support extra youth activities and trips (i.e. the annual Diocesan Youth Conference, Junior High Rally, mission trips, summer camps, etc).
- Promote Christian service through age appropriate service projects.
- Work with other local Youth Directors to support diocesan youth activities and programs in which youth directors and youth work together to proclaim gospel values.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Theology, Religious Education, or related field
- Zero to two years of related experience in Youth Ministry
- Deep faith and personal commitment to the life of the Catholic Church, and a desire to teach and communicate with others
- In depth knowledge of the Catholic Church, its mission, teachings, structures, and ministerial life
- Creative and forward thinking, with the ability to translate best practices and data driven trends into practical ministry
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational ability, skills and desire for collaboration, together with ability to take initiative and work independently
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a variety of groups
- In depth knowledge and skills with social media, web, and digital content production
- Must be detailed-oriented, able to handle multiple priorities and work in a deadline driven environment
For more information, please contact Eleni Phelps at email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org