St. Thomas More Catholic Church and Newman Center
St. Thomas More Catholic Church and Newman Center at the University of South Carolina seeks to follow the mission of Jesus Christ to draw all into union with God. We do this through our community gathered in celebration of the sacraments, study, prayer, social events, and service. The Gospel informs our daily action and moves us to reach out to all those in need. We are missionary disciples, joyfully spreading the love of God in truth and charity to all we encounter on campus and abroad.
The Director of Music is responsible for the overall vision, planning, implementation, and growth of all musical elements in parish liturgies. Duties are outlined below.
- Oversees all administrative duties of the parish music ministry.
- Is the primary accompanist for all liturgies.
- Responsible for selecting all hymnody, propers, psalms, choral anthems, and Mass settings at all parish liturgies.
- Oversees the scheduling and recruitment of musicians for entire music ministry.
- Proposes and manages all music ministry operational budgets and salaries for staff musicians.
- Directs, recruits, rehearses parish choir.
- Designs worship aids and bulletin inserts when necessary.
- Hires musicians as may be required to meet the musical needs of the parish, including but not limited to substitute accompanists and/or conductors, instrumentalists, assistant musicians, or vocal scholars.
- Collaborates with pastor/administrator and all members of liturgical team for quarterly liturgical planning.
- Endeavors to educate and enhance the parish’s singing of hymns and plainchant.
- Organizes musical elements for any liturgies outside of Masses including prayer services and vespers.
- Assists with the planning and logistics for all musical elements for weddings and funerals.
- Weekly time commitment includes all administrative duties, music planning, research and study, planning meetings, practice time, rehearsals, regular and special Masses, observations, and special programs related to parish-sponsored ministries.
- Responsible for maintenance of instruments at STM.
All staff musicians including but not limited to, vocal scholars, guest accompanists, substitute accompanists, etc.
Must have a Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in music (choral conducting or sacred music) and preferred to possess at least 3 years relevant experience in a Catholic music environment. References may be requested.
Salary Terms and Summary
- 20-25 hours per week
- Salary commensurate with work experience.
- $1000 stipend for yearly professional development
- Right of first refusal for weddings and funerals for additional fees
- Four-weekend personal Saturday-Sundays each year
- Professional development days off for conferences and professional obligations
- Office hours are flexible.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org