Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati Catholic Church
The Director of Music will foster “full, conscious, and active participation” in the liturgy, encourage musical participation during liturgies, and cultivate an appreciation of sacred music in addition to providing all piano music for the liturgies as needed. Frassati is a new and unique Parish which celebrates Mass in the hallways of St Elizabeth Ann Seton High School.
Reports To: Pastor
Primary Areas of Responsibility:
• Responsible for the oversight of the parish music program
• Working collaboratively, as a team, with the Pastor and the Parish staff
• Selecting music for all weekend liturgies, Holy Days, The Triduum, special feasts and other special Masses that occur throughout the year with consultation of the pastor.
• Playing three Masses each weekend and being present to conduct at “Choir Masses”. A prelude and postlude is required at most times of the year.
• Playing weekly at Brightwater assisted living facility – Fridays at 11am.
• Ability to conduct/play from piano for choral anthems and knowledge of musical instruments (i.e. strings, woodwinds, etc.) and expertise in the selection of choral anthems with instrumental inclusion
• Scheduling substitute pianists when not available
• Recruiting and scheduling of cantors and rehearsing, scheduling and directing a voice choir
• Hosting concerts, with the Pastor’s approval, of sacred and appropriate secular music for the parish
• Computer skills for the production of worship aids and organization
• Report Payroll for Cantors and Musicians every Monday morning to the Business Manager
• Budget, manage and maintain the musical assets of the community
• Attend scheduled staff meetings as required
• Instill a sense of service and discipleship within the Ministry
• High degree of proficiency with a piano and capable of providing musical leadership during liturgies
• Working knowledge and appropriate usage of other instruments used in Liturgy
• Effective choral conductor capable of leading a choir in vocal exercises and providing vocal training as needed
• Demonstrable skill as a leader of congregational singing
• Skilled at interpersonal relationships with experience and knowledge to deal with negative situations effectively; the ability to look to the bigger picture and the core philosophy of the Ministry when making decisions; the ability to work as a team player and to encourage team building whenever possible with staff as well as designated team leaders within own Ministry
• Possess knowledge of repertoire of liturgical music that spans various styles and forms
• Ability to help others identify their gifts and talents within the community
• Ability to monitor expenses and maintain a budget
• Understand, as a lay minister, that personal lifestyle should reflect the Church teachings
Training and Education
• Enthusiastic willingness to work with people
• Knowledge of Roman Catholic liturgy including documents, music resources and familiarity with Lectionary
• Knowledge of Microsoft Publisher
• Degree in Music (Masters preferred)
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
To apply for this job email your details to Frassaticc@gmail.com